Who doesn’t love that just washed clean hair feeling?! One of my favorite things is how I feel when I’ve just blow dried my hair and it’s perfectly straight, clean, and silky smooth. There’s hardly any humidity out here in Colorado, and it definitely effects how my hair feels! Since moving out west, I’ve been on the hunt for a product that’s really hydrating, because my hair’s been feeling damaged, dry, and dull. As soon as I tried Bumble and Bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil line, I was SOLD! I raved about it so much that Ryan actually bought me a few bottles for Christmas haha.
Products I Use for Curly Hair:
To begin, I wash my hair with B&B Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil shampoo and conditioner. After I get out of the shower, I apply 5-6 pumps of Invisible Oil to damp hair. I LOVE this stuff because it makes my hair feel silky smooth, and it protects my hair from heat damage. After that, I’ll run a quarter sized dollop of Styling Creme through my hair to add body and give it a little more structure. My hair definitely holds curls better when I use this creme before drying it!
How I Dry My Hair:
Honestly, most of the time I just flip my head upside down and blow dry. It’s quick, easy, and it gives me great volume. When I want to have more defined volume or change up my part, I’ll use a round brush with a concentrator attachment to lift my hair and create volume. The hair dryer that I use works perfectly for me, but it’s nothing special! (Find it here and here.) I love this one and just haven’t felt the need to splurge on a hair dryer yet.
How I Curl My Hair:
I haven’t splurged on a hair dryer, but I have splurged on a curling iron. It took me a while, but I finally learned how to get looser curls that don’t make me look like I’m about to go to prom or a beauty pageant haha. Here are my tips and tricks for getting perfect curls:
- Get the right barrel size for your hair. I tried out the 1.5″ barrel, but since I have very straight hair, the curl did not hold for long. It was just too loose for me, but I have seen these loose curls look great on other girls! Instead, I use the 1″ barrel, and my curls hold great. The next day, I’ll have looser curls, which I love!
- Start the curl about halfway down your hair length. It took me a while to learn this, but curls look so much more relaxed and casual if you don’t curl it all the way to the root. As you can see in the pictures above, my hair is actually straight until my jaw line. Remember to begin the curl at about the same location on each section of hair! This takes some practice (or at least it did for me haha.)
- Divide your hair into three layers. Pull 2/3 of your hair back with a clip or hair tie while you curl the bottom 1/3. Once the bottom section is all curled, let down 1/2 of the amount that’s still straight and curl that. Finally, curl the remaining amount. It’s just impossible to get the loose curl look without curling your hair in layers. I have super thick hair, so I have to do it in three steps, but if you have thinner hair, you may be able to get away with only two layers.
- Curl away from your face. It’s way more flattering, and it frames your face nicely. Just trust me on this one!
- Apply hairspray (but not too much!) I loooove this hairspray because it’s not too heavy. The last thing you want to do is weigh down your curls. They should be light and airy, not stiff to the touch!
I took me a while to master the art of curling my hair, but now its my go to hair style for date night!
What do y’all do to get perfect curls? Do you use heat protectant? Have you tried Bumble and Bumble?? Let me know in the comments. 🙂
Hope you’re having a great week! If you need a pick me up, just remember: Valentine’s Day candy is on sale now haha.